Golf ...

11.03.2008 03:51
#1 Golf ...
Forums-Senator/in

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8e4d2e32-ecb2-...?nclick_check=1

Cuba's dictator-in-waiting
By Tim Yeo

The most important, though so far largely overlooked, consequence of Fidel Castro's long-awaited retirement is its significance for golf. Cuba is one of the world's great unexploited golf opportunities. I once had dinner with the charismatic Cuban leader after playing the island's only course at Varadero. But he showed little interest in golf even when I mentioned his match against Che Guevara, a photo of which hangs in my study in London. Cuba, with its agreeable climate and a convenient geographical position, is ripe to be turned into a land of milk and honey - in golfing terms at least.

[...]

The first step is to set aside parcels of land of 200 acres in the most attractive coastal and inland terrain for golf. By allocating so much land for courses, large areas of undisturbed habitat could be created between the holes in which all sorts of flora and fauna can flourish. No more than 50 homes would be allowed to be built around each course.

[...]

Antworten

Beitrag melden
11.03.2008 11:58
#2 RE: Golf ...
Rey/Reina del Foro

Das Wall Street Journal hatte zum selben Thema schon vor ein paar Wochen eine nette Geschichte auf der Titelseite:

Hooking Left: Cuba Tees Up Golf's Revival
After Che Beat Fidel, A Course Was Lost; 'Sand Trap from Hell'

"Now that Fidel Castro has retired, perhaps he can find the time to work on his golf game. In 1962, Mr. Castro lost a round of golf to Ernesto "Che" Guevara, who had been a caddy in his Argentine hometown before he became a guerrilla icon. Mr. Castro's defeat may have had disastrous consequences for the sport. He had one Havana golf course turned into a military school, another into an art school. A journalist who wrote about the defeat of Cuba's Maximum Leader, who was a notoriously bad loser, was fired the next day. (...)"

Antworten

Beitrag melden
Seite 1 von 1 « Seite Seite »
Bereits Mitglied?
Jetzt anmelden!
Mitglied werden?
Jetzt registrieren!