Vague comments made about Fidel Castro's health

07.08.2007 18:29
#1 Vague comments made about Fidel Castro's health
Rey/Reina del Foro

Vague comments made about Fidel Castro's health

Statements by Cuban officials raise questions about Fidel Castro's health.
Posted on Tue, Aug. 07, 2007

BY PABLO BACHELET
pbachelet@MiamiHerald.com

WASHINGTON --
Two Cuban officials have made intriguing statements in recent days that raise questions about Fidel Castro's health.

Castro handed power to his brother Raúl last summer following emergency surgery. He has written several newspaper columns in recent weeks and is reported to be recuperating, but has not been seen in public in more than a year.

Cuban Vice President Carlos Lage raised eyebrows Sunday when he telephoned Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez's live talk program, Aló Presidente, apparently to fill in for Castro.

``The comandante saw the dawn today working, working intensely like all these days, calling various compañeros on different issues.

``And when Aló Presidente started he interrupted the work to dedicate himself to watching.

``I can tell you that he's watching it, that he has been watching all your reflections, informations and analysis. . . . Fidel is focusing on the program. He doesn't miss a minute, he doesn't miss one detail. And he called me in a hurry to tell me to call you.''

''I am grateful for your call,'' Chávez replied. ``We had been expecting to talk to Fidel. It can't be done today, it will be possible on another occasion.''

Lage did not explain why Fidel Castro could not call Chávez, despite his reported interest in the program.

A story Friday by the Spanish EFE news agency attributed another comment to Raúl Castro's daughter Mariela, who heads Cuba's National Sexual Education Center and has sometimes acted as a Castro family spokeswoman on her uncle's health status.

The EFE story said: 'One year after Fidel Castro, who on the 13th will be 81 years old, delegated power to his brother Raúl, 76, because of a grave intestinal ailment, Mariela Castro acknowledges: `The concern that we all had about losing our leader is now closer to us.' ''

It was not clear if ''now closer'' referred broadly to the year since Fidel Castro took ill or a more recent period.

Mariela Castro also was quoted as making an interesting comment on Cuba's power succession:

''For the first time, the people are taking stock of his [Fidel's] process of aging, the process that the revolution has to continue without him, be it with my father or with other leaders who will come, who will emerge, because at times leaders appear when you least imagine it,'' she said.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/americas...ory/194878.html

--
La vida debería ser amarilla... amar y ya.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
07.08.2007 18:55
#2 RE: Vague comments made about Fidel Castro's health
Rey/Reina del Foro

Zitat von ElHombreBlanco

''I am grateful for your call,'' Chávez replied. ``We had been expecting to talk to Fidel. It can't be done today, it will be possible on another occasion.''

Wusste gar nicht, dass Chavez so gut Englisch spricht.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
07.08.2007 18:58 (zuletzt bearbeitet: 07.08.2007 19:00)
#3 RE: Vague comments made about Fidel Castro's health
Rey/Reina del Foro
Zitat von seizi
Wusste gar nicht, dass Chavez so gut Englisch spricht.

Dass weiß man doch spätestens seit: "You are a donkey Mr. Danger!"

--
La vida debería ser amarilla... amar y ya.

Antworten

Beitrag melden
Seite 1 von 1 « Seite Seite »
Bereits Mitglied?
Jetzt anmelden!
Mitglied werden?
Jetzt registrieren!